Monday, October 6, 2008

Viewing copyright records

As I spend a lot of time searching through the US patent office patents and trademarks websites, I started to wonder about the whole copyright thing, which is also part of the USPTO website.

Visiting the US copyright office pages, I saw that you can search online for records after 1978, and then it said that if you visit the library, you can search for older records.

In looking at the online records (the ones after 1978), I noticed that while there is a description, there isn't an actual drawing or photo or anything. For example when searching for Trifari, the record will say something like "Forever collar : style no. 52246 - Necklace - 1982". Which in itself might at least be a good starting point for identifying items, but you really couldn't verify an item's identity completely.

So, I wondered if, when you are actually at the library, whether you could see the drawing or whatever they normally supply with the copyright application. It was rapidly getting clear I am really unclear on this whole copyright records thing. So, I sent an email inquiry to the copyright office asking if, when searching in the library, it was possible to see the full information. They answered very quickly. Although they didn't quite answer my question, and I'm not much clearer. Here is what they said:

A work submitted for registration is part of the public record in the sense that someone wishing to examine the work can request that we retrieve the copy from our off-site storage facility and make it available for inspection here in our office. There is a $150 fee for this service.

To request an inspection of a work, please contact the Certifications and Documents Section indicating the original registration number. They can inform you if the work is available for inspection.

It is very important that the records be clearly identified to minimize the time required for searches by the Copyright Office staff. These searches require a search fee in addition to the inspection fee.


So, one thing for sure, it looks like it can get pretty expensive in a hurry!! Although I am still a bit confused, since the website indicates that you can go and do your own research at the library. I wonder if all you can see there is the summary type records unless you request to "examine" a copy.

If anyone knows how this all works, I'd love to hear! I do have some relatives in the DC area, maybe I can talk one of them into wandering over there to see what they can find..

No comments: